Kabul: At least 30 security personnel killed when a suicide car bomber on Sunday struck an army base in the outskirts of Ghazni city, Afghanistan, officials said.
One of the deadliest attacks in the recent month occurred in the region which has been considered as one of the hubs of fighting between the Taliban and the government forces.
Interior ministry spokesman Tariq Arian and Ghazni governor spokesman Wahidullah Jumazada told the media that a Humvee fully loaded with explosives detonated by a bomber who drove the vehicle to base.
Director of Ghazni hospital Baz Mohammad Hemat told AFP that thirty bodies and 24 injured security personnel were brought to the hospital.
So far, no group claimed responsibility. The deadliest attack took place at a time when the government and Taliban are engaged in peace talks to end the war that has killed thousands of people during two decades. A few days ago, two bombs had killed 14 people in the city of Bamiyan.
Zabul’s provincial police Chief Hekmatullah Kochi told AFP that at least one civilian killed and 20 people wounded in yet another suicide car bomb in the southern city of Qalat. He said that the attack targeted the vehicle of provincial council Chief Atta Jan Haqbayan. He added that Haqbayan wounded in the attack.
Violence has surged since the start of peace talks on September 12 in the Qatari capital of Doha and Sunday bombings marked the latest carnage. In recent weeks, the brutal attacks have killed at least 50 people including two attacks on educational institutes.
Islamic State group had claimed the responsibility of the three Kabul attacks but Afghan officials blamed the Taliban. Taliban denied any involvement in the recent wave of terrorism.
According to sources close to the talks, the talks between Taliban and Afghan government had been halted due to disputes on the agenda including the basic framework of discussions and religious interpretations, but now an agreement has been reached on all issues.
Earlier this month, the United States had announced that it would pull out some 2,000 troops from Afghanistan to speed up the timeframe of a full withdrawal by May 2021 as agreed with the Taliban, in a separate deal signed in February. Last week, United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo during his visit to Doha met with both Taliban and Afghan government negotiators and urged for expedited discussions.